Grades 6-8 Internet
Online Databases and Curriculum Links
eTools in Chinese
eTools in Korean
eTools in Spanish
HCPSS Online Subscription Databases
Students should see their school's library
media specialist for login information to these databases.
American History - From the explorers of the Americas to today's headlines, American History investigates the people, events, and themes of our nation's evolution. Integrating American politics, science, culture, philosophy, and economics, this authoritative database explores the ongoing development of the United States. American Government contains nearly 15,000 primary and secondary sources, including overview essays, biographies, government and court documents, photos, maps, audio/video clips, statistics, and more.
Concise, reliable, and up-to date country reports
on 182 world cultures
History Reference Center - History Reference Center® features full text for more than 1,620 reference books, encyclopedias and non-fiction books. The database also includes full text for more than 150 leading history periodicals Further, the database contains nearly 57,000 historical documents; more than 78,000 biographies of historical figures; more than 37,000 historical photos and maps; and more than 80 hours of historical video.
Generate, edit, and publish an MLA Works Cited list
or APA References list using NoodleBib
in Context - An in-depth, curriculum-oriented science database that provides a one-stop resource for all science-related research needs. (See your school's library media specialist for the url.)
Science Reference Center™ is a comprehensive research database that provides easy access to a multitude of full-text science-oriented content.
More than 5,000 primary and secondary source articles
highlighting key events, movements, people, and places
in 20th-century America
Easily retrievable full-text articles from approximately
1,200 newpapers, magazines, and U.S. government documents;
includes World Almanac for Kids
Knowledge Source -
Thousands of full-text articles from domestic and
international sources exploring social, scientific,
health, historic, business, economic, political,
and global issues
Resource Center Junior - All core curriculum
areas are covered with this premium selection of
reference material, full-text periodicals and newspapers,
primary sources, creative works, and multimedia
[see your school library media specialist for login
Teaching Books.net - A timesaving portal to thousands of online resources of book-related resources you can use to explore children's and young adult books and their authors. It provides immediate access to useful materials and exciting programs (short movies, audio book readings, book discussion guides, and more) that add a multimedia dimension to reading in the classroom, library media center, and home.
Book Online -
This is the online version of this popular encyclopedia.
To Top of Page
Online Homework Assistance - Online tutoring service is provided through the Howard County Library(HCL); click on the question mark (?); requires an HCL library card
To Top of Page
To Top of Page
- The Career Key - This site has an excellent self-assessment tool to help students define possible careers based on both abilities and interest. Groups of careers are offered as possibilites for the student to consider. Specific occupations the student chooses are then linked to the Occupational Outlook Handbook for further information.
- Career Magazine - This site gives tips and links for career opportunities.
- It's My Future - Describes opportunities beyond high school, including career options, military careers, financial aid and scholarships.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - This site duplicates the print title published by the U.S. Department of Labor. The site gives a descriptive listing of occupations including job outlook and average salary range.
To Top of Page
Countries, Maps, and Flags
- Google Earth - Google Earth combines the power of Google Search with satellite imagery, maps, terrain and 3D buildings to put the world's geographic information at your fingertips.
- Google Maps - This searchable site uses Google Earth satellite technology to assist with finding locations.
- Historical Map Web Sites - This site has historical maps from the Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection at the University of Texas at Austin.
- Infonation - this site will compare statistics for up to 7 countries at once.
- InfoPlease - Countries of the World - This site includes maps, flags, facts, quizzes and crossword puzzles, to name only a few features!
- Map Machine - National Geographic provides electronic maps and links to a wide variety of map resources.
- Map Quest - This site gives driving directions from one specific address to another. Directions may be obtained for the United States, Canada and Europe.
- Maps From Hanover College Dept. of History - This site has links to maps organized by continent.
- National Geographic Country Profiles - Check this site out for a wealth of country information.
- Outline Maps - Use this site to print or download a variety of outline maps for homework or classroom use.
- The Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection - This site has multiple color maps from the University of Texas at Austin. The site is organized by broad geographical categories (on second page of site) and also has links to other map sites
- World Flag Database - Use this site to find flags of all nations.
To Top of Page
Literature and Reading
- Booktalks - Plain and Simple - site by Nancy Keane that compiles booktalks searchable by author, title, subject and interest level.
- Encyclopedia Mythica -
Provides key word access to articles pertaining
to myths and mythological characters.
- Harry Potter - Check out this
site for information about the hottest kids books
Maryland and Local Information
- Archives of Maryland - Easy-to-use information on Maryland from the Maryland Archives.
- Howard County Public Library -
link to the homepage of HCPSS' A+ Partner. With
a library card number, access to the library's
online databases is provided.
- Maryland.gov - Maryland.gov is the gateway to public services within and around the State of Maryland.
- Maryland Manual Online - The online version of the print manual - contains Maryland information from the Maryland Archives.
News Sites, Magazines, Journals
- 50states.com - This website provides a directory with links to newspapers across the United States.
- Baltimore Sun -- Use the Baltimore Sun's page for today's headlines, sports, and weather.
- National Geographic World -
Explore kid-oriented articles on a variety of topics.
- Newsweek -
Online version of the popular weekly magazine
- Time for Kids -
Affords kids an age appropriate version of Time
- Time Warner's Pathfinder Network -
Archives of all issues since 1994 are available
in addition to the current issue. In the archives
the cover of each issue, in thumbnail size, is
shown in a browser window that is organized by
date of publication.
- U.S. News and World Report -
Archives of all issues since February 1997 are
available, in addition to the current issue. Archives
are organized by date of publication.
- Washington Post-
In addition to the current issue the full text
of issues printed during the previous two weeks
are searchable and available free of charge.
- WTOP - Local
news, traffic, and weather, 24/7
To Top of Page
- American Memory (Library of Congress)
- U.S. History primary sources, lesson plans, photographs and more.
Student Center -
This site contains information about conservation,
water, ecosystems, human health, waste and recycling,
air, "in your neighborhood".
- Kids' Pages - FedStats - FedStats is a listing of kids' pages
from many government departments and agencies, including NASA.
- Library of Congress -
This site has links to legislative information
and research tools including full text access to
current bills in congress. It is useful for verifying
publication of materials and for locating bibliographic
Archives and Records Administration -
This site provides access to primary sources
related to U.S. government and history.
- U.S. Census Bureau -
The Census Bureau has information from the U.S.
Census of 1990.
- USA City Link -
Look at this comprehensive source for information
on cities and states.
- U.S. Gazetteer -
This site allows users to search for United States
maps by zip code or city and state. It is published by the
U.S. Census Bureau.
- The White House -
Presents information about the federal government,
presidential information, access to White House
documents, and commonly requested federal services.
- Zip Codes -
United States Postal Service Zip Code directory
To Top of Page
Other Grade Levels
5 | Grades 6 -
8 | Grades 9
The Howard County Public Schools Home Page